“The Common Core State Standards call for high levels of writing proficiency. Meeting these standards requires a planned, sequential, explicit writing program, with instruction that gives students repeated opportunities to practice each kind of writing and to receive explicit, assessment-informed feedback at frequent intervals. The tools in these units of study can be the bedrock of such a writing program.”
About the Series
Lucy Calkins and her colleagues from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project are extending their bestselling writing workshop curriculum to the middle school grades. Like the K–5 Units of Study series, the middle school series not only provides a coherent, systematic curriculum in the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core—opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing—it also reflects the latest research on data-based, responsive instruction.
Save when you purchase related cost-saving series bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Components of the Series product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Three Units of Study per grade
- organized around the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core: argument, information, and narrative writing
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Writing Workshop, Middle School Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 6-8 learning progression across argument, information, and narrative writing
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs:
With trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Without trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com