NOW AVAILABLE: Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8 View now!
The first-grade series is written for children who are just tapping into their burgeoning powers as readers as well as writers, and believe they can do anything. Students begin with the always-popular unit Small Moments: Writing with Focus, Detail, and Dialogue. In this unit students take the everyday events of their young lives and make them into focused, well-structured stories, then they learn to breathe life into the characters by making them talk, think, and interact. In Unit 2, Nonfiction Chapter Books, students enter the world of informational writing as they combine pictures and charts with domain-specific vocabulary and craft moves to create engaging teaching texts. In Unit 3, Writing Reviews, students create persuasive reviews of all sorts—pizza restaurant reviews, TV show reviews, ice cream flavor reviews, and finally book reviews that hook the reader, clearly express the writer’s opinion, and bolster their argument in convincing ways. In From Scenes to Series: Writing Fiction, the final unit of the Grade 1 series, students learn to “show, not tell” and use action, dialogue, and feelings to create a whole series of fiction books modeled after Henry and Mudge.
About the Series
Lucy Calkins and her colleagues have drawn on their work from more than three decades to develop a state-of-the-art curriculum in writing to:
- help you teach opinion, information, and narrative writing with increasing complexity
- foster high-level thinking, including regular chances to synthesize, analyze, and critique
- develop and refine strategies for content-area writing
- support greater independence and fluency
- conduct strategic performance assessments to help monitor students’ progress and differentiate instruction
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progressions across grades.
Components—Including New Resources!
- Four Units of Study at each grade level
- A Guide to the Writing Workshop
- If… Then… Curriculum: Assessment-Based Instruction
- Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- Large-Format Anchor Chart Post-it® notes—New!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources including writing samples to use with Writing Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts, folders, and parent letters. Also included are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
- Trade Book Packs recommended
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com
Select the grade-level resources you need most
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles. Elementary Series Bundle (one of all 6 levels, K–5)
Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing with their related trade book pack
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Elementary Series Bundle (K-5) with trade book packs