NOW AVAILABLE: Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8 View now!
The second-grade series is written with seven-year-olds in mind. These youngsters are chomping at the bit for something new. They feel very big now and want work that feels big and important. That’s what they’ll get—this series invites second-graders into author studies that help them craft powerful true stories, science investigations and lab reports, and finally, into some very grown-up writing about reading. Across the writing genres, children learn to understand—and apply to their own writing—techniques they discover in the work of published authors. In Lessons from the Masters: Improving Narrative Writing students learn how to create engaging narratives by stretching out small moments and writing in detail. Unit 2, Lab Reports and Science Books, uses inspirational nonfiction texts to help students design and write about experiments and other scientific information. Unit 3, Writing About Reading, has students read closely and gather evidence from texts to craft persuasive arguments. The final unit, Poetry: Big Thoughts in Small Packages helps children explore and savor language. Students learn to use line breaks to express the meaning and rhythm they intend and use visualization and figures of speech to make their writing more clear and powerful.
About the Series
Lucy Calkins and her colleagues have drawn on their work from more than three decades to develop a state-of-the-art curriculum in writing to:
- help you teach opinion, information, and narrative writing with increasing complexity
- foster high-level thinking, including regular chances to synthesize, analyze, and critique
- develop and refine strategies for content-area writing
- support greater independence and fluency
- conduct strategic performance assessments to help monitor students’ progress and differentiate instruction
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progressions across grades.
Components—Including New Resources!
- Four Units of Study at each grade level
- A Guide to the Writing Workshop
- If… Then… Curriculum: Assessment-Based Instruction
- Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- Large-Format Anchor Chart Post-it® notes—New!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources including writing samples to use with Writing Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts, folders, and parent letters. Also included are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
- Trade Book Packs recommended
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com
Select the grade-level resources you need most
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles. Elementary Series Bundle (one of all 6 levels, K–5)
Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing with their related trade book pack
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Elementary Series Bundle (K-5) with trade book packs