NOW AVAILABLE: Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8 View now!
About the Grade 8 Units
Eighth grade is the year your writers will tackle writing for social activism and writing to illuminate complexity. In their first unit of study, Investigative Journalism, students learn to use sharp observations of life to write news and investigative articles about meaningful topics, crafting vivid narratives and elaborating multiple perspectives. They’ll write to shine a light on issues in their community and to actively stir their readers to take action. Then in Unit 2, The Literary Essay: Analyzing Craft and Theme, students return to literary essays, writing arguments and counterarguments about themes in texts, supporting their positions with details of plot, character, and author’s craft. Eighth graders conclude with Unit 3, Position Papers: Research and Argument. In this unit students learn to compose principled arguments by drawing on evidence, contextualizing their positions, and addressing multiple perspectives.
About the Series
Like the K–5 Units of Study series, the Middle School Units of Study series not only provides a coherent, systematic curriculum in the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core—opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing—it also reflects the latest research on data-based, responsive instruction.
Save when you purchase the related cost-saving series bundles:
K–5 Units of Study series (with trade packs)
K-5 Units of Study series (without trade packs)
Middle School Units of Study series (grades 6-8)
Components of the Grade 8 product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Three Units of Study
- organized around the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core: argument, information, and narrative writing
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Writing Workshop, Primary Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 6-8 learning progression across argument, information, and narrative writing
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs:
With trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Without trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com