About the Grade 7 Units
Seventh graders relish their growing sense of control over their own lives and their sense of agency. In this first unit of the year, Writing Realistic Fiction: Symbolism, Syntax, and Truth, students write engaging short fiction. They lift the sophistication of their writing through attention to individual scenes, symbols, and writing techniques they’ve discovered from close readings of powerful short fiction. Next, in Unit 2, Writing About Reading: From Reader’s Notebooks to Companion Books, students learn to analyze the craft and structure of the authors they admire and to write for real audiences about why that craft matters. Finally, in Unit 3, The Art of Argument: Research-Based Essays, students learn to write essays that build convincing, nuanced arguments, balancing evidence and analysis to persuade readers to shift their beliefs or take action.
About the Series
Like the K–5 Units of Study series, the Middle School Units of Study series not only provides a coherent, systematic curriculum in the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core—opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing—it also reflects the latest research on data-based, responsive instruction.
Components of the Grade 7 product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Three Units of Study
- organized around the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core: argument, information, and narrative writing
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Writing Workshop, Middle School Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction (The Guide, now available for separate purchase, can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about writing workshop).
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 6-8 learning progression across argument, information, and narrative writing
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs:
With trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Without trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com