NOW AVAILABLE: Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8 View now!
About the Grade 6 Units
Sixth-grade writing begins with Personal Narrative: Crafting Powerful Life Stories. This unit helps students draw on their lives, learning strategies to generate meaningful story ideas, manage pace, elaborate on important scenes, and deepen insights. This unit especially emphasizes the importance of setting goals, practicing strategically, and aiming for high productivity. In Unit 2, The Literary Essay: From Character to Compare/Contrast, sixth graders learn ways to generate ideas based on close readings of a text and learning strategies essayists use to gather, analyze, and explain evidence from the text to support their claims. In Unit 3, Research-Based Information Writing: Books, Websites, and Presentations, students begin by exploring the broad topic of teen activism in order to teach their readers about a topic, using increasingly sophisticated ways to draw on and structure information to explain a position or make a call to action.
About the Series
Like the K–5 Units of Study series, the Middle School Units of Study series not only provides a coherent, systematic curriculum in the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core—opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing—it also reflects the latest research on data-based, responsive instruction.
Save when you purchase the related cost-saving series bundles:
Components of the Grade 6 product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Three Units of Study
- organized around the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core: argument, information, and narrative writing
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Writing Workshop, Primary Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 6-8 learning progression across argument, information, and narrative writing
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs:
With trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Without trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com