NOW AVAILABLE: Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K–5 Video Orientations View now!
Designed to be the second unit in first grade, Word Detectives supports students’ word solving skills and their knowledge of high-frequency words. This playful unit expands on the important work that the entire series does to support youngsters’ foundational reading skills.
In this unit, students will:
- Learn to monitor their reading
- Develop their word-solving skills
- Become more adept at using letter–sound correspondence to tackle tricky words
- Increase their bank of high-frequency words
- Become more confident at using the words they know ‘in a snap’ to solve unknown words
- Develop their fluency skills
This unit is especially perfect for classrooms where many students are moving into levels E, F, and G texts. The foundational decoding skills that students develop will put them in especially good stead before they move into reading nonfiction in Learning About the World.
Trade Pack titles include:
- A Country Mouse and a Town Mouse
- Lost Socks
- Nate the Great
- The Birthday Boy
About the If… Then Units
The Teachers College Reading and Writing Project and Heinemann are proud to announce the release of four additional book-length units of study, each addressing an especially key topic from the Units of Study If...,Then… books.
These new book-length units have been written to fit tongue and groove into the original Units of Study, yet each can also work as a self-contained stand-alone unit, offering you a chance to try on the experience of teaching with the Units before moving to the complete series.