Now Available Separate from the Units of Study for Teaching Reading!
The Guide to the Reading Workshop, first introduced as a part of the Units of Study for Teaching Reading, is now available for separate purchase. The Guide can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about reading workshop.
The Guide to the Reading Workshop offers a comprehensive but concise introduction to:
- The Units of Study Series: mission, background, history, relationship to state standards including CCSS
- The essentials of reading instruction
- Reading development across grade levels, K–2
- How reading workshop fits within the school day
- Using assessment to support instruction
- The architecture and principals that inform minilessons
- Classroom management in reading workshop
- Effective conferring and small-group work
- Word study, shared reading, and reading aloud
- Supporting all learners: RTI, using data to drive instruction, supporting ELD