Purchase Recommendation: Choose the Grade 4 Units of Study with the Trade Book Pack (as shown in this product bundle) if your library does not already include the mentor texts referenced in the Units. If you do not need the trade book pack, purchase the Grade 4 Units of Study without the Trade Book Pack.
About the Grade 4 Units
In fourth grade, you’ll help children delve into complex texts and see significance in details. In the first unit, Interpreting Characters: The Heart of the Story, children study the complexity of characters and explore themes while developing skills such as inference and interpretation. In the second unit, Reading the Weather, Reading the World, children form research teams to delve into topics about extreme weather and natural disasters while developing their skills in cross-text synthesis, practicing close reading, comparing and contrasting, and evaluating sources to determine credibility. Children take on the challenge of researching history in the third unit, Reading History: The American Revolution. Children study multiple points of view, support a position with reasons and evidence, tackle complex texts, and learn strategies for using new domain-specific words. In the final unit for fourth grade, Historical Fiction Clubs, children practice reading analytically, synthesizing complicated narratives, comparing and contrasting themes, and incorporating nonfiction research into their reading.
About the Series
Following on the success of the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing, Lucy Calkins and her colleagues at the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project present a new series of Units of Study in Teaching Reading!
This series offers grade-by-grade curricula in reading designed to meet ambitious 21st century global standards. Drawing on learning gleaned from decades of research, curriculum development, and working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, and school leaders, this new reading series is rooted in the Project’s best practices and newest thinking. It includes state-of-the-art tools and methods for teaching reading, undergirded by the Project’s learning progressions in reading for literature and informational texts.
Components of the Grade 4 product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources—includes Spanish translations to use with Reading Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts and folders. Also available are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Four Units of Study
- comprised of 2 units in fiction and 2 units in nonfiction
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Reading Workshop, Intermediate Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective reading workshop instruction (The Guide, now available for separate purchase, can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about reading workshop).
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Reading Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 3-5 learning progression
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, and rubrics
The Grade 4 Trade Pack includes age-appropriate trade books that are used in the units to model effective writing techniques, encourage students to read as writers, and provide background knowledge.
- The American Revolutionaries: A History In Their Own Words, 1750-1800 by Milton Meltzer, Ed.
- Every Living Thing by Cynthia Rylant
- Hurricane And Tornado by Jack Challoner
- King George: What Was His Problem? by Steve Sheinkin
- Liberty! How The Revolutionary War Began by Lucille Recht Penner
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- The Revolutionary War by Josh Gregory
- Rose Blanche by Cristophe Gallaz
- The Split History Of The American Revolution: A Perspectives Flip Book by Michael Burgan
- The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
- Weather by Kathy Furgang
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Reading Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs
To learn more about the Units of Study for Teaching Reading series, visit UnitsofStudy.com