"For decades now, the Reading and Writing Project has been piloting, refining, adapting, and developing a K-8 system of writing instruction. Many of The Reading and Writing Project’s ideas on teaching writing have been, from the start, a part of the Common Core, but the Common Core also issued new challenges—ones that The Reading and Writing Project began working towards when the Common Core was just a whiff of a draft. This sequence of CCSS-aligned units in narrative, opinion and information writing, then, bears the stamp of both the Common Core and of thirty-five years of research and development."
— Lucy Calkins
The series that helped hundreds of thousands of educators revolutionize their primary and intermediate writing workshop instruction is now offering the grade-specific support teachers have been clamoring for. Building on the best practices and proven frameworks in the original Units of Study for Teaching Writing series, this new series by Lucy Calkins and her colleagues from the Reading and Writing Project offers grade-by-grade plans for teaching writing workshops that help students meet and exceed the Common Core State Standards.
The grade-specific series components
- A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop introduces the principles and methods that underlie high-quality writing instruction. After describing the learning pathways elementary writers typically traverse, Lucy details the classroom structures and instructional frameworks that make writing workshops rigorous and responsive, Select chapters consider how to assess writers and use data to inform your instruction, how to support English language learners, and how to prepare for standardized writing tests.
- The 4 units of study at each grade level are organized around narrative, information, and opinion writing. Each unit of study contains 18-22 sequential sessions that walk you step-by-step through the entire writing process from planning and drafting to revising and editing and eventually to publication. Each session lays out the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work in a way that will help you replicate, and eventually personalize, Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language.
- A book of If…Then… curricular plans supports targeted instruction and differentiation with alternative assessment-based units. This includes six to eight concise units of study for you to strategically teach before, after (or in-between) the core curriculum based on your students needs.
- An assessment guide provides student & teacher checklists, diagnostic conferring charts, and record keeping forms for tracking student progress.
- An accompanying trade book pack (optional purchase) models effective writing techniques, encourages students to read as writers, and provides background knowledge.
- A resources CD-ROM provides session-specific print resources to support teaching across the year and includes instructional charts, checklists, bibliographies, samples of student writing, and an assortment of other practical teaching tools.
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com
Select the grade-level resources you need most
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles. Elementary Series Bundle (one of all 6 levels, K–5)
Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing with their related trade book pack
Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Elementary Series Bundle (K-5) with trade book packs