The Classroom Bundle for The Intermediate Comprehension Toolkit, second edition has everything needed to implement The Intermediate Comprehension Toolkit, second edition for grades 3-6 – the strategy and lesson books, the Teacher’s Guide, the short nonfiction texts, and the online resources all included in the Toolkit – plus the 13 engaging books selected by the authors and used in the Toolkit lessons.
The original 6 trade books include:
- How Many Days to America: A Thanksgiving Story by Eve Beck;
- Lightning (Nature in Action) by Stephen Kramer;
- The Mary Celeste: An Unsolved Mystery from History by Jane Yolen;
- The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles;
- The Top of the World: Climbing Mount Everest by Steve Jenkins;
- Cheyenne Again by Eve Bunting;
- Now Let Me Fly by Dolores Johnson.
The new trade books for Content Literacy lessons include:
- Kids Fight for Civil Rights (Appleseeds, October 2013)
- Lend Me A Paw (National Geographic Ladders series)
- Speak Out (National Geographic Ladders series)
- Surprising Sharks (Candlewick Press)
- The Journey that Saved Curious George (HMH Books for Young Readers)
- The Mayflower Compact (National Geographic Reading Expeditions)
The Comprehension Toolkit Series from Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis (available in K-2 and 3-6 sets) has all of the language, teaching moves, and re-usable resources to build students’ reading comprehension in ways that are visible and audible and helps to show evidence of developing students’ thinking over time.
As an active literacy learning framework, The Comprehension Toolkit can be implemented as part of a literacy block or within a curriculum lesson such as science and history. Additionally, this supplemental resource is designed to support every instructional setting including whole group, ELL support, small group, independent practice, intervention, summer school – as well as resources for PLCs.