Leila Christenbury’s Making the Journey has long been a beloved classic in English methods courses as well as with in-service English teachers whose dog-eared copies occupy a permanent place on their classroom desks. The Fourth Edition adds a fresh new voice from veteran English Education professor Ken Lindblom, whose expertise in writing instruction, teaching with technology, and teaching informational and nonfiction texts compliments Leila’s love of literature and vast knowledge and experience across the field. You’ll find brand new content on:
• CCSS and other college-and career-ready standards and assessments
• Genre studies, with special attention to informational nonfiction
• Digital literacies and technologies for teaching
• Classroom management and communicating with parents, administrators, and colleagues
• Teaching ELLs and students with special needs.
Leila and Ken’s timeless advice, humorous anecdotes, and stories of successes and failures in the classroom infuse Making the Journey with life and light, and instill confidence in soon-to-be English teachers. Though ever reflective of the current realities of teaching, and chock full of stories about real students and their struggles and triumphs, the Fourth Edition remains a beacon of hope and optimism for all those willing to enter the greatest profession.