Frank Serafini has written extensively on the reading workshop, and in talks around the country, he's answered the tough questions about teaching through this powerful medium. Now in Around the Reading Workshop in 180 Days, his most practical book to date, Serafini answers your most frequently asked questions and shows you the daily ins and outs of the workshop.
Picking up where his bestselling titles The Reading Workshop and Lessons in Comprehension left off, Serafini gives you month-by-month strategies for running a reading workshop across an entire school year. He provides everything you need to change the way intermediate and middle level students think and talk about reading, including:
In addition, classroom teacher Suzette Serafini-Youngs illustrates Serafini's ideas with "Windows on the Workshop," classroom vignettes that bridge theory to practice and demonstrate with precision the teacher's role in workshop-based reading instruction.
- instructional strategies
- how-tos for organizing
- ideas for lessons
- ways to connect reading and writing instruction
- assessment and evaluation techniques
- tips for helping students choose books
- lists of recommended children’s literature for your students and recommended professional resources for you.
Whether you're a thirty-year veteran or a novice teacher, go Around the Reading Workshop in 180 Days with Frank Serafini and take your students on a memorable journey into literacy.
IntroductionThe Journey Begins
1. Summer VacationPreparing for the Reading Workshop
2. SeptemberInviting Students into the World of Reading and Literature
3. OctoberComing to Know Ourselves as Readers
4. NovemberNegotiating Responses to Literature
5. DecemberExploring Expository Texts
6. JanuaryMaking Our Thinking Visible
7. FebruaryLearning the Rhythms of Poetry and Literature
8. MarchThe Role of Literature Across the Curriculum
9. AprilLiterature and Social Issues
10. MayCelebrating Our Literate Lives
Afterword: The Journey Ends . . . for Now
Label companion resources
Label support materials
Label product support
- Invite Frank Serafini to speak at your school, district, or conference through Heinemann Speakers.
No sales resources available for this title