The Complete Comprehension Series
Jennifer Serravallo provides a simple, accessible, and effective framework for reading instruction.
- Assess readers in authentic trade books with prompts placed at key moments across the text.
- Evaluate students with Jen’s rubrics and determine what reading goal to teach toward.
- Teach with more of the strategies that made The Reading Strategies Book a bestseller.
Chapter books challenge readers' ability to synthesize and accumulate information, and sustain comprehension. Longer texts require readers to be more skilled around the goals of:
- sustaining understandings about plots that have many events, and may include events out of order (flashback, foreshadowing)
- visualizing settings which often change from chapter to chapter, and which may be
As nonfiction books become more sophisticated, they challenge students’ ability to synthesize and accumulate information and sustain comprehension. Longer texts require readers to be more skilled around the goals of:
- Determining the main idea of of sections, chapters, and the whole book
- Identifying and separating key details from extraneous information, and understand the relationship between