The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary intervention designed for children who find reading and writing difficult. LLI is designed to bring children quickly up to grade-level competency.
Watch an informational webinar
LLI serves those students who need intensive support to achieve grade-level competency. These children are the lowest achieving children in the classroom who are not receiving another supplementary intervention. Each lesson in the LLI system also provides specific suggestions for supporting English language learners who are selected for the system.
Fountas & Pinnell’s Leveled Literacy Intervention Gold System
Powerful, supplementary intervention designed to bring struggling readers to grade level through fast-paced lessons and original, captivating books created specifically for nine- and ten-year-old readers.
- Explicit direct instruction in 45 minute lessons, 5 days a week for small groups of 4 students
- 144 original, high-interest titles (60% nonfiction / 40% fiction)
- Novel study to support sustained reading of literature
- Optional test preparation lessons with grade level CCSS alignments
- Systematic, intentional vocabulary development
- Embedded professional development
- Efficient Online Data Management System
- Level-by-level guidance from The Continuum of Literacy Learning, PreK–8 (2011)
Five systems are available for LLI. Each supports instruction at different levels on the F&P Text Level Gradient™, A–Z:
Leveled books are a key component in helping children become competent readers. Each LLI system includes a collection of brand new, carefully leveled books to provide enough support and a small amount of challenge so the reader can learn on the text and make small steps toward grade-level goals.
All systems have organized lessons around the following quantities of leveled books:
Assessment is the key to forming successful groups and determining the students for whom intervention would be most appropriate, and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System helps assess students at the entry and exit points for the LLI system. Both systems are based on the F&P Text Level Gradient™. A–Z, which is correlated to grade level.