Summer is a key opportunity to be responsive to students’ needs and help them prepare for the year ahead. Heinemann offers districts, schools, teachers and tutors flexible and easy-to-implement summer programs for reading, writing and mathematics that are student-centered, emphasize social emotional learning, and honor responsive teaching. We also offer research-based and highly effective small-group accelerated reading intervention programs that will provide continued growth throughout the summer.
Small Group Accelerated Intervention
Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI), Grades K-5+
Daily, intensive, small- group instruction for systematic, short-term intervention and continued growth throughout the summer.
- Webinar: Join us for a 30-minute webinar about using LLI for summer intervention
Proven Effective- read the research here:
- What Works Clearinghouse Report on LLI
- Evidence for ESSA: LLI received STRONG rating for effectiveness
- Independent Efficacy Studies for LLI
Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ Book Club Collections, Grades K-6
Small-group literacy instruction that also builds social emotional connections where students exchange ideas with their peers and co-construct richer understandings of texts. Learn more about FPC Book Clubs
Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ Interactive Read-Aloud Collections, Grades PreK-6
Whole-group literacy instruction that also builds social emotional connections where students exchange ideas with their peers and co-construct richer understandings of texts. Organized into text sets for highly intentional teaching. Learn more about FPC Interactive Read-Aloud
- Webinar: Watch this 30-minute webinar about using Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ for summer learning.
New from Lucy Calkins and Colleagues: TCRWP 2021 Virtual Summer School Curriculum
This powerful new 6-week, K-5 summer school curriculum is designed for remote, in-person, and hybrid instruction and is based on the Units of Study for teaching reading, writing and phonics. Resources will be available by the end of May, along with professional development from Teachers College Reading and Writing Project staff developers, all designed to help teachers support joy and confidence while accelerating students’ growth.
Sign up to receive updates about the TCRWP 2021 Summer School Curriculum
- Webinar: Join us to learn more about the new TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum.
Complete Comprehension by Jennifer Serravallo
Complete Comprehension simplifies summer instruction and makes responsive, individualized instruction not only straightforward but possible —even for teachers who don’t normally teach reading. Click below to read more about the summer pacing guide and other suggestions for summer learning from Jennifer Serravallo.
- Webinar: Watch this 30-minute webinar about using Complete Comprehension for summer learning.
- Blog post: Boost Comprehension In Summer School—By Meeting Readers Where They Are
The Comprehension Toolkit Series
The predictable lesson format in the Comprehension Toolkit series supports effective summer school instruction in the development of critical thinking and essential comprehension skills. Click below for more information about how digital lessons make remote instruction possible and how support for differentiation, small groups, and ELL are built into this easy-to-use resource.
- Webinar: Watch this 30-minute webinar about using Comprehension Toolkit for summer learning.
- Blog post: Teaching with The Comprehension Toolkit for Successful Summer School Instruction
- Free Download: Comprehension Toolkit Summer School Literacy Pacing Guide
Math In Practice
Flexible and helpful, this K-5 professional resource offers standards-based content and coaching support that can be tailored to fit the needs of any summer school program – and it is especially suited for teachers who may have less experience with a range of grade-level content. Each grade level set includes coaching, lesson starters, formative assessment suggestions, and small group activities.
- Blog post: A Great Summer School Fit: Math in Practice
Resources, Blogs and Videos from Heinemann Authors and Consultants
We hope these free ideas and resources will help you as you support your students.
Heinemann Resources Mentioned in the News
Find your local Heinemann Sales Representative
Your local representative can provide guidance around instructional materials, professional development, implementation, and more.