Up the Ladder Units
Nothing matters more than the mission of giving all young people access to the beautiful, important work that happens in reading and writing workshops.
Accelerate Students’ Progress with Lucy Calkins’
Up the Ladder Units: Accessing Grades 3-6 Units in Narrative, Information, and Opinion Writing
The Up the Ladder books are designed for children in grades 3–6 who may not yet have had many opportunities to practice writing narrative, information, and opinion pieces, and for teachers and students who might not have had those experiences in workshop-style classrooms. The units give these children opportunities to engage in repeated successful practice and to move rapidly along a gradually increasing progression of challenges.
The TCRWP staff spent a long time studying how to successfully accelerate children’s growth in narrative, information, and opinion writing. They analyzed the progression of skills taught across elementary and middle-school grades, identified the most critical foundational skills for each of the three genres, and then devised a pathway to support the development of these key skills.
The Up the Ladder Units give upper grade kids the chance to get the writing process into their bones through work on a sequence of quick publications. The units begin by inviting students to write lots of small pieces that contain the essential characteristics of a specific genre, and to do so within especially motivating, supportive, and clear instruction. Students repeatedly plan, draft, revise, and do that work mostly outside the writing notebook, in booklets that make concrete manipulative revision easy. Kids cut pages apart to insert a quote, they add flaps off the edges to elaborate on a key part, they tape new leads and endings onto the first and last pages of booklets. Frequent checkpoints channel kids to double-check that their work has gotten substantially better. At each of these checkpoints, they—and you—will see that their growth has been dramatic.
The Up the Ladder Units:
- give novice writers intense writing practice within a short timeframe
- teach foundational strategies through content, topics, and mentor texts that are appropriate for grades 3–6
- include concise, accessible student checklists and guidelines for daily assessment
- support teachers with an introduction to the workshop framework and writing process, tips and strategies for classroom management, and video demonstrations of the minilessons
- offer teachers specific ways to support English learners
- engage young people in work that is demanding yet attainable
- ensure that students make rapid and dramatic progress toward grade-level writing work.
While the Up the Ladder units are designed to be precursors to the grade-level Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing, 3-6, they can be helpful in a variety of instructional settings.
Three Up the Ladder Units (20-22 sessions in each)
A Guide to the Up the Ladder Units orients you to the Up the Ladder books, providing guidance on the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction.
- Downloadable charts, paper-choice templates, samples of student work, student checklists
- Links to digital texts
- QR code links at point-of-use within each minilesson with demonstration videos featuring TCRWP Staff Developers
Anchor-Chart Sticky Notes with illustrated teaching points help teachers create and evolve anchor charts across each unit.