This is an online course on Heinemann's Digital Campus. Course access is 365 days from the date of purchase. Learn more about courses on the Digital Campus.
Nurture Persistent, Resilient Readers
What are the habits of readers with grit—with persistence and resilience? Can we model these habits and even teach with grit? Debbie Miller and Sam Bennett share practices and structures that help students meet reading standards by looking beyond one school year and toward a lifetime of strong reading habits and academic success.
- Describe habits that help kids persevere with their reading
- Describe habits of teachers who persevere through instructional difficulty
- Organize learning time to intentionally increase student resilience
- Explore the impact of the use of learning targets on student learning habits
- Analyze how teacher talk influences readers' perseverance
- Discover ways to structure a physical environment to foster perseverance
- Observe how teacher risk-taking models perseverance and impacts learning
On completion of this course, you will be awarded a certificate for 30 contact hours, or 3 CEUs.