A Division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Heinemann

Teacher's Lounge Teachers' Lounge>Forum

Welcome to the Teachers' Lounge Forum

To begin, either Register or Login Now.

Once you've logged in, just click on one of the forums below.

To join an existing discussion, click on a topic that interests you. if you would like to contribute a comment, simple click "add reply". You can type your reply in the box below and when you are done click "add message". If you would like to be notified when someone posts a reply to this thread be sure to check the "Notify me when reply is posted" box.

If you would like to start a new discussion of your own, click the "new topic" link. In the subject line, type in a few words to tell us what your topic is. Click in the larger box and add your first comment to the discussion. When you are done click "add message".

You can always get updates on threads by subscribing to the Teachers' Lounge Forum through the RSS link below.

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » Is LLI appropriate for on grade level students?

Discussions about any of Fountas & Pinnell's works, including LLI, BAS, the Continuum, When Readers Struggle, Literacy Beginnings, leveled books, training events, professional development for educators, and more
8/3/2011 5:19:13 PM

User 414459
User 414459
My district recently purchased LLI for every K-2 classroom and we are excited about this. However, they are mandating that it is used for all on and below grade level students. I am very concerned that this is not appropriate for all students, that we will not be moving our on grade level kids at an appropriate pace, and that our above level students will not get their needs met because of the time it will take to implement LLI with all other students. My understanding is that LLI is an intervention program designed for struggling readers. Is it more appropriate to continue to implement guided reading with our students who are not at risk and use LLI just with our struggling students?
0 permalink
6/6/2013 9:06:53 PM

User 534867
User 534867
I think if LLI was not used as the main reading instruction it would be good. Using it as a small group thing would be helpful because it teaches good solid reading strategies which all students need.
0 permalink
7/16/2013 10:31:34 AM

JVG
JVG
LLI is designed as an intervention, hence the title Leveled Literacy Intervention. Done according to the guide, it requires a lot of time and materials. You would need to copy off parent letters and order take-home books for all students. Your largest group could only be 4 students since there are only 4 books per kit. This seems like a misuse of teacher time and the materials to me. On-level guided reading groups could have 6 students using regular, on-level materials. For a teacher to do LLI with all of her on and below-level students would mean she would have to do numerous 30 minute sessions . . . not sure there is even time in the day for that!
0 permalink

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » Is LLI appropriate for on grade level students?