The Teacher Tip
Construct Powerful Interpretations by Teaching Students How to Journey Through the Process
April 13, 2018
Adapted from Teaching Interpretation by Sonja Cherry-Paul and Dana Johansen.
To demystify the process of interpretation for teachers and students, try using an interpretation framework:
1. Generating or coming up with initial ideas
- Forming big ideas and claims
- Uncovering issues
2. Experimenting or testing out ideas
- Locating text evidence
- Identifying how the evidence supports a claim
- Weighing and determining strength of evidence
3. Rethinking or grappling with multiple ideas:
- Interrogating characters, authors, and issues
- Considering other times, texts, and our world
- Marinating in the opposite and varied viewpoints including those of our peers
- Realizing when we’re just plain wrong
To learn more about Teaching Interpretation and download a sample chapter, visit Heinemann.com.
The Heinemann Teacher Tip app is a free download.