Leveled Literacy Intervention: Overview
The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary literacy intervention designed to help teachers provide powerful, daily, small-group instruction for the lowest achieving students at their grade level. Through systematically designed lessons and original, engaging leveled books, LLI supports learning in both reading and writing, helps students expand their knowledge of language and words and how they work. The goal of LLI is to bring students to grade level achievement in reading.
Lessons across the seven systems progress from level A (beginning reading in kindergarten) through level Z (represents competencies at the middle and secondary school level) on the F&P Text Level Gradient™.
LLI is designed to be used with small groups of students who need intensive support to achieve grade-level competency.
Each Level of LLI provides:
- Combination of reading, writing, and phonics/word study.
- Emphasis on teaching for comprehending strategies.
- Explicit attention to genre and to the features of nonfiction and fiction texts.
- Special attention to disciplinary reading, literature inquiry, and writing about reading.
- Specific work on sounds, letters, and words in activities designed to help students notice the details of written language and learn how words "work."
- Close reading to deepen and expand comprehension.
- Explicit teaching of effective and efficient strategies for expanding vocabulary.
- Explicit teaching for fluent and phrased reading.
- Use of writing about reading for the purpose of communicating and learning how to express ideas for a particular purpose and audience using a variety of writing strategies.
- Built-in level-by-level descriptions and competencies from The Continuum of Literacy Learning, PreK-8 (2011) to monitor student progress and guide teaching.
- Communication tools for informing parents about what children are learning and how they can support them at home.
- Technology support for assessment, record keeping, lesson instruction, and home and classroom connections.
- Detailed analysis of the characteristics of text difficulty for each book.
Explore the resources below to learn more about Leveled Literacy Intervention and how it turns struggling readers into successful readers!