A Division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Heinemann

Teacher's Lounge Teachers' Lounge>Forum

Welcome to the Teachers' Lounge Forum

To begin, either Register or Login Now.

Once you've logged in, just click on one of the forums below.

To join an existing discussion, click on a topic that interests you. if you would like to contribute a comment, simple click "add reply". You can type your reply in the box below and when you are done click "add message". If you would like to be notified when someone posts a reply to this thread be sure to check the "Notify me when reply is posted" box.

If you would like to start a new discussion of your own, click the "new topic" link. In the subject line, type in a few words to tell us what your topic is. Click in the larger box and add your first comment to the discussion. When you are done click "add message".

You can always get updates on threads by subscribing to the Teachers' Lounge Forum through the RSS link below.

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » levels on text gradient and common core standards

Discussions about any of Fountas & Pinnell's works, including LLI, BAS, the Continuum, When Readers Struggle, Literacy Beginnings, leveled books, training events, professional development for educators, and more
11/21/2011 11:49:57 AM

User 484122
User 484122
I have been looking over the text complexity grade bands and associated lexile ranges (in lexiles) in the new Common Core Standards. I was then using a conversion chart to convert the lexiles to the Fountas and Pinnell guided reading levels that our school district uses. When comparing the new range of levels that the common core standards are using and the text gradient that is in the back of the BAS book I am finding some big differences. I was just wondering if Fountas and Pinnell had noticed how the common core level expectations are much higher than their expected grade level ranges. I was wondering if Fountas and Pinnell would be coming out with an updated gradient or if they are sticking with this one since it is research based? My district is trying to decide what is in the best interest of kids when communicating expected ranges of levels with parents. Any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
+3 permalink
12/1/2011 8:07:14 AM

User 489443
User 489443
I have the same question. The Lexile expectation is way above GRL. Have you gotten any reply?
0 permalink
12/6/2011 10:58:51 AM

User 484122
User 484122
User 489443 wrote:
I have the same question. The Lexile expectation is way above GRL. Have you gotten any reply?

No I haven't heard anything. I am not sure if I have it posted correctly to get a response from the F&P team.
0 permalink
12/6/2011 5:17:15 PM

User 489443
User 489443
I first asked this question on the Blog and waited for a reply. That was early in November, and as I kept checking I realized the Blog hadn't been updated for over a year. Then I found this forum, but wonder how effective it is as a means of communicating with those to whom we are asking the question. Is anyone reading the forum besides teachers who have questions?!! Even if the answer is that more research must be done before an answer can be given, would at least let us know Fountas and Pinnell are working on it.
0 permalink
1/9/2012 4:00:19 PM

The Fountas & Pinnell Team
Fountas & Pinnell are working on it

Our apologies for not getting back to all of you sooner. We have been pestering F&P for a consolidated response to the many questions teachers are sending us about several aspects of the programs vis-a-vis Common Core -- at the same time that they're scrambling to keep up with several very important deadlines for forthcoming works. We are, finally, reliably informed that we can expect that response in the next week or two, and we promise to share as much of it as we can here.

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 permalink
6/20/2012 11:26:15 AM

User 504690
User 504690
I'm very interested in the correlation between CCSS expectations and GRL expectations. Do you have a response yet? I see the last message from F & P was in January.
0 permalink
6/20/2012 12:20:36 PM

The F&P Text Level Gradient™ -- the text characteristics and the behaviors and understandings associated with each level A - Z, as described in the Guided Reading section of The Continuum of Literacy Learning -- has not changed and will not change.

However, a detailed statement written by Fountas and Pinnell themselves about changes to recommended grade level goals is forthcoming and will provide general guidelines. Gay and Irene haven't finished writing the rationale statement, but it'll be made available as soon as possible available on the Heinemann website, the F&P Facebook page, and the Teachers’ Forum. They believe it's important, and they are taking the time to get it right.

In the interim, we hope you will remember that as always, actual grade level goals should be adjusted based on school/district requirements and professional teacher judgment. Recommended goals have always been and will always be only recommendations.

To repeat, F&P LEVELS ARE NOT CHANGING. Nor are the Continuum or the Gradient.

One thing is changing (slightly): recommended grade level goals. The changes can be seen on the chart Instructional Level Expectations for Reading. An alternate way of looking at them is The Text Level Ladder of Progress. We'll eventually have other graphical representations available too.

The changes to the recommended grade level goals are not due to Common Core standards.

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 permalink
6/21/2012 9:24:36 AM

User 489443
User 489443
Thank you for this response. It has come in time to make the adjustments before the next school year. It looks like the greatest challenge will lie in the PreK-1st grades, with entry to 1st grade expecting to be at GRL D. I teach in Utah which has not even mandated Kindergarten enrollment! Luckily, our school can offer full day Kindergarten which makes a huge difference for these early literacy learning years. Now the task will also include encouraging private preschools to continue to educate staff in early literacy instruction, and provide the books for these little 3 and 4 year olds to read! Looks like our state legislature had better rethink mandating, and fully funding public Kindergarten, and begin looking into public preschool!
edited by User 489443 on 6/21/2012
0 permalink

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » levels on text gradient and common core standards