A Division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Heinemann

Teacher's Lounge Teachers' Lounge>Forum

Welcome to the Teachers' Lounge Forum

To begin, either Register or Login Now.

Once you've logged in, just click on one of the forums below.

To join an existing discussion, click on a topic that interests you. if you would like to contribute a comment, simple click "add reply". You can type your reply in the box below and when you are done click "add message". If you would like to be notified when someone posts a reply to this thread be sure to check the "Notify me when reply is posted" box.

If you would like to start a new discussion of your own, click the "new topic" link. In the subject line, type in a few words to tell us what your topic is. Click in the larger box and add your first comment to the discussion. When you are done click "add message".

You can always get updates on threads by subscribing to the Teachers' Lounge Forum through the RSS link below.

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » Help with kids who are "stuck"

Discussions about any of Fountas & Pinnell's works, including LLI, BAS, the Continuum, When Readers Struggle, Literacy Beginnings, leveled books, training events, professional development for educators, and more
11/21/2011 10:45:02 AM

supermom
supermom
I have a group of students who have finished the lessons for level E in the green kit. We did the first lesson for level F and it totally flopped. They really struggled with the new book. What should I do next?? I don't want to continue all of the lessons on level F if the kids are not going to do well on them. I guess I could use the blue kit and do more Level E lessons?
Thanks for any advice!
0 permalink
11/21/2011 5:21:24 PM

The Fountas & Pinnell Team
When things don't we go well, we always look at our own teaching. Our first suggestion might be to look at your lesson records from Level E. Look at your daily observations from the Lesson Record, as shown on p. 81 in your Program Guide, as well as any other observations that you may have.

We also suggest looking at the Behaviors and Understandings to Notice, Teach, and Support from your Lesson Guide for Level E. This is located on pp. 369 and 370. If children have done well in Level E, they should also do well in the next level. It is usually not a matter of more books but a matter of refining the teaching support. You will also want to look at the new challenges in Level F in your teaching guide. If you get more books in Level E, make sure that you have refined your teaching according to each child's needs.

You may also want to look in When Readers Struggle, chapter 5, in order to think about how the teaching changed for each child at the same level. While the teacher was using the same text, he was attending to different children uniquely, according to their needs.

It's your decision as to whether you spend a bit more time in E or move on to F. You will need to look carefully at the challenges in each level and relate them to your children, while refining your teaching.

Thanks for this great question!

--

Fountas & Pinnell Homepage
Fountas & Pinnell Blog
Fountas & Pinnell on Facebook
Fountas & Pinnell on Twitter
email the Fountas & Pinnell Team
0 permalink

Home » Fountas & Pinnell » Help with kids who are "stuck"