Wondering how to get started with the Units of Study for Teaching Reading and Writing? Looking for a refresher on the Units of Study as you head into a new year? If you'll be teaching Units of Study for Teaching Reading or Writing, you'll want to start your year by gathering with colleagues at your grade level and participating together in a study group led by Lucy Calkins and her coauthors from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project.
In these (free!) 45- to 90-minute grade-level study groups, you can expect to learn:
- The options Lucy suggests for the sequence of units across your year
- Whether, at your grade level, it's advisable to start with Unit 1 even if your kids are new to reading workshop
- The books you'll need for Unit 1 (and 2) and ways to give kids access to them
- The skills that are highlighted in Unit 1, the storyline of the Unit, the special tips Lucy has for making the Unit work
- Plus, a crash course in how to teach the mini lessons so they're mini—and other start-of-the year teaching methods.
This fast-paced, nuts-and-bolts help directly from Lucy and her colleagues from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project aims to give you the best possible start using the new series.