Now that the Units of Study for Teaching Reading and Writing have become essential parts of daily life in tens of thousands of classrooms around the world, Lucy Calkins and her coauthors have begun identifying ways they can be even more helpful to teachers and students. Based on all they’ve learned working with teachers implementing Units in their classrooms, Lucy and her colleagues are hard at work on a number of important resources to support and extend the Units of Study.
You can be among the first to know complete details on new Units of Study resources as they are developed. Simply click on the link at the bottom of this page to register for updates.
Classroom Libraries – Ideal for Units of Study for Teaching Reading; Great for All Classrooms
- Lucy is leading a team of experts to develop state-of-the art classroom libraries. Two libraries are planned for each grade level—one on-grade-level and one below-grade-level.
- Each grade-level library will include lots of high-interest books—as many as 600 per library.
- A set of supporting resources will help teachers use and organize their libraries.
New and Adapted Units of Study
Lucy and her TCRWP coauthors are developing Add-On Units to address specific, common “If. . . Then. . .” scenarios. Titles currently in development:
- Word Detectives unit for first grade reading
- Literary Essay unit for fifth grade writing
- Mystery unit for third grade reading
- Information Writing unit for second grade writing
In addition, Lucy’s team is preparing detailed guidelines for adapting social studies units to focus on other content (e.g. adapting gr. 5 Westward Expansion unit to focus on Immigration.)
Support for ELs
- Spanish translations of selected components for both reading and writing units are in the works, including student self-assessments and classroom materials such as anchor charts and other charts, teacher writing exemplars, and more.
- Lucy’s team is also developing a list of Spanish-language mentor text suggestions.
Writing Anchor Chart Post-Its
- New Anchor Chart Post-It Notes for the Units of Study for Teaching Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing are currently in development.